Saturday, August 11, 2018

Sepia

Sepia
by Dana Lee Stone


                                                             Sepia tones
capture his image
on the aerodrome in France
                                                  where he trained.
He smiles,
left hand placed
jauntily
on his hip.
Confident,
maybe a little cocky.
He was 19 that day.
Dropped out of U. Va.

to enlist in World War One.
This was the man who loved me fiercely.
The son
of a printer,
and a Southern belle.
Product of the Gilded Age
Before all hell
broke out
with the “war to end all wars.”
                             Smiling directly at the camera,
                                     eyes gleaming like the shiny steel
       of his Curtiss Jenny.
Dashing,
Handsome.
          This was my father,
veteran of the First World War.
           (and the Second).

     I want to know more
about him,
     but there are  so few letters.
All I have are
memories
of his stories
of France
 and the faraway places
in fairy tales he used to
  read to me before
   I went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment