Saturday, August 11, 2018

Herring Season in Sitka, March 28, 1984

Tonight after dinner, I decided to take you outside. It's herring season and there are huge fish processing boats in the sound near our house. They make a small spectacle at night but during the day look fairly impressive. We enjoyed the lovely night air for a while before a light rain started to fall. Yesterday, I learned that some is thinking about buying this house, meaning that we would have to move. I do not look forward to the prospect of re-locating, because I really like this apartment, especially the view of the ocean from the bay windows in the living room. I try to think of the things I don't like about the place, like the walk up Kelly Street, and the ramshackle appearance of the house from the outside. Also, the fact that I can't grow flowers or have a garden here.

I love the spacious living room and the warm glow that the hanging light creates. The positive points about moving, though would be having a larger bedroom for you, maybe buying a house, finding a healthier apartment (it's damp here), finding one with more friendly neighbors, and one where I could have a garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment