Saturday, August 11, 2018

Bruce Springsteen and Richmond


     In 1971 or 1972, I remember Bruce Springsteen playing in Richmond.  I didn't see him, but I heard a lot of talk about it At one time, apparently, Springsteen considered moving to Richmond. His band played there about 30 times between 1969 and 1975.  The last time before they returned in 2015 was in 1975.  Then, the band was known as Steel Mill, which I distinctly remember my buds talking about.  I don't know why I didn't go to hear Springsteen.  I guess I was more attracted to Leo Kottke and Ry Cooder, who played at the notorious Mosque.

      Springsteen was on Fresh Air tonight and he gave a splendid interview, talking about his autobiography, just out.  I was impressed with how intelligent and articulate he was.  And sure, I regret not having seen him.  My minister did though, last year, near the Watt Street Grocery.  His daughter was a student at Duke then.  His daughter, an equistrian, represented the U. S. in the Olympics.

     Here's a link to the interview:  http://richmondmagazine.com/arts-entertainment/the-boss-is-back-in-town/   (from a Richmond magazine).


No comments:

Post a Comment