Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Linking the Good and Bad

 I can think of this positive experience at Nelson Reading Room.

So I have this thing about Rubenstein Library and how wonderful the archives are there.  The image of Pompey Duck Legs is pleasant.  I first heard about it a couple of years ago at Perkins' "Puppy Time" at the library where they bring in puppies to hang with the students during final exam week.  That is so appealing.  It should be written up in College Research Libraries.  What a terribly clever way to reach the public in such a charming way.  It's a great story!

So I gave Billy Collins my prized pin with the image of Pompey Duck Legs on it.  I wish I could get another pin but they gave them all away.  I could do a children's story about the dog, the walks he took with Mordecai, where the dog lived, how he would come to class.  How he would be dressed up on his birthday with a hat and given cake and ice creme.

I need to write about giving the pin to Billy Collins also.  Glad I thought about that!  I have so many great memories of East and West campus...must give Collins a copy of the story.

Tonight's lesson:  changing the language and changing the world.  Do it, do it, do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment