Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Billy Collins

Billy Collins gave a poetry reading at the Nelson Music Room on East Campus.  I've been entralled with Collins since 2001, when I was at the Library of Congress and his poem, "School Days" was handed out to all of us teachers and librarians in attendence.  Collins was Poet Laureat then.

The man is like a stand-up comediene, only professorial and wry.  Among his many accomplishments, he recently interviewed Paul McCartney and was on the Cobert Report reading "To My Favorite 17 Year Old Girl."  That poem is brilliant, about his teen-age step-daughter to be.  It's funny and satirical.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZSIYQeF7FE

inspiration:

Collins has some unique ideas about poetry...here are some topics he inspired me to explore ---

Participatry Poems

Funny poems about my cat

No comments:

Post a Comment