Tuesday, March 18, 2014

My Year of Miracles

Day 13

I am learning about transgender children.

 The Dallas Buyers Club, which I saw recently,  had a transgender character played by Jared Leto, who got the Oscar for best supporting actor.  But apparently the transgender community  was upset because a trans actor didn't play the role.  That got me to thinking about the whole idea of transgender and I realized how little I knew about it.  It was just out of my frame of reference.

Last week I learned that trans children are starting to undergo the necessary medication while in high school, or even younger.  Then yesterday, I found out about a  child, who knew she was trans from the age of 2.  Her mother even stated that at the age of 18 months, she started making her onesies into a dresses.  At 11, she took medications to keep puberty at bay.

Now about 14, Jazz Jennings is a remarkable young lady, and has a foundation which helps other trans children.  She is a great role model and very lucky to have such a supportive family.

The links below direct to more information.



No comments:

Post a Comment