Monday, December 24, 2018

Skipping Christmas

      So tomorrow will be the first Christmas I've not been with family or a boyfriend.  So, I decided to skip it.  Just imagine, no presents to unwrap, no messy papers to toss, ribbons to save, and best of all, no stuff!  

      So...what to do.  Develop a plan.   Get up early for a change.  I've decided not to sleep in.  How about a visit to Saxapaha.  How I love the name!!!  

       Tonight is Christmas Eve, and Duke Chapel announced that there will be a community chorus -- anyone who wants can show up by 9:00 p.m. and be part of it!!!   Before that, I might attend the Love Feast at Farm Church (since Durham Pres. won't be having its Christmas Eve service this year. (Franklin is on Sabbatical, and Alex is in Nantucket.). 

      Farm Church is a new church that has a huge garden and harvests for the entire community.  I actually came across it a couple of years ago while walking around Trinity Park after a concert.  There were several people working, planting, and turning the soil.  I chatted with one of the men who is a minister.  He told me the story of Farm Church and how the founders traveled around the country to find the right site.  And they chose Durham!

      Yesterday, I dropped by the Carolina Inn to buy a few gifts at the Holiday Market.  Last year, I spent Christmas there and what an experience!!!   In fact, I wrote a poem about it, in the spirit of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas.  I sent it their Marketing Department, so who knows what they'll do with it.  I copyrighted it, so they will need to compensate me for it.  I'd definitely take $500, or a week at the Inn, sometime after Christmas when the University is open.  That way, I could visit Wilson Library, and research George Moses Horton.  His papers are there.

      I'm so glad I didn't get a job during the holidays at Barnes and Noble.  Probably my age -- who knows?  Who cares?   A couple of health issues distracted me a bit, like a breast cancer scare.  I feel like I have a new lease on life after Friday when my visit to the Duke Cancer Center was over.  I must say that the radiologist, Dr. Lucy Lu (can you believe that?), rock!  She had to do ultrasound.  We talked up a storm the whole time and I was going to read her my poem.  (She would have listened!)  But she was called out.  That's ok.

       Plenty of opportunities to volunteer around here.  My favorite is the one that involves helping with farm animals at a refuge.  Pigs are there, and who knows what else.

       Also, there's ice skating at Bright Leaf.   That would be fun.  And I absolutely MUST give to my favorite causes, like: 
  • the Southern Poverty Law Center
  • volunteering my time at Communities in Schools
  • the American Dance Festival


     

No comments:

Post a Comment