Wednesday, June 15, 2016

The Kincanons of Tennessee and Virginia (letter to Mr. Gaynor, UVa Special Collections)

Dana L. Stone
802 E. Country Club Dr.
Tarboro, NC 27886
December 9, 2013



Dear Mr. Gaynor:
Thank you for your letter of October 23, 2013 regarding my gift of John Thomas Kincanon’s papers.  

I am enclosing a family history of Kincanon that was given to my mother and to other relatives in 1980 by Jimmie Kincanon, his grandson.  This will clarify the linkage between the Stones and the Kincanons. 
My grandmother, Birdie Kincanon Stone, was J. T’s daughter.  Her husband was my grandfather, Albert A. Stone, Sr., who helped to run the Stone Printing Company with his brother, Edward.  My father was Albert A. Stone, Jr. who at one time served as a vice-president of the Company.

 I’ve enclosed a copy of a photograph of J. T. Kincanon, along with a page from the Stone genealogy, “A Brief History of John Stone and Descendants,” compiled by Yvonne Slonaker of Roanoke.  I had always heard that J. T. Kincanon was a founder of Virginia Intermont College.   According to some research I found on the Internet, he was a Baptist minister who “held 27 pastorates.”

My father and all four of his brothers went to the University of Virginia:  Albert, Frederick, Charles, and Robert.   Currently, I am doing some research into my father’s World War I service.  He was with the Army Air Corps and trained as a pilot.  He left the University of Virginia in order to enlist in the war effort.
I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to the Library and was especially grateful to spend time reviewing the Books of Hours and many other items from the Stone archives.  I came across an issue of Stone’s Impressions, a Stone Printing Company publication which I understand my father edited.  The staff, especially Gail Cook, were extremely helpful in helping me with the research.

Please let me know if I can ever be of service.  I can be reached at 252-314-6849 or nceducator@gmail.com.With warm wishes,

Dana Stone
Enclosures (3)




No comments:

Post a Comment