Friday, May 2, 2014

Making the Most of Regrets

    Today's quotation was by Thoreau and my mind was drawn to it.  Thoreau's advice to us is to: "Make the most of your regrets; never smother your sorrow, but tend it and cherish it till it comes to have a separate and integral interest.  TO REGRET DEEPLY IS TO LIVE AFRESH."

     Yes, I have found myself regretting that I ever moved to Tarboro.  The painful memories of the library, the flood, the neighborhood, expecting things to change and knowing they never will.  Everyone's related.  The clubbiness, my disappointment over the church.

     Yes, I am doing the right thing by moving on.  Moving on.  Changing.  Looking forward to living afresh!

     What is there to look forward to in Durham?  Living near two great universities, for one thing.  Three, actually, as people tend to forget about NC Central.  I went to a concert there last Sunday that was sensational.  Jason soloed from Carman.

     Tomorrow I'm having a moving sale.  These things are usually disappointing as so few people come.  Then they don't want to give a decent price.  So I decided not to part with my cherished pieces.  I probably will keep the fondue dish I bought in Switzerland, even though I can't remember the last time I used it.  I do remember using it in Christiansburg, where I lived in the mid 70's.  It's so pretty!  Why would I want to give it away?  After all, I carried it all the way from Switzerland, it Virginia, Alaska, Tennessee, Georgia, and North Carolina.  I will try to baptize it again.  Maybe have Franklin Golden and family over to dip veggie slices.  Now that's an idea!

Here is a photo of the fondue...

   

No comments:

Post a Comment