Thursday, February 8, 2018

Do I Really Need a Microwave?

     My microwave bit the dust 2 weeks ago and I've been managing without one fairly well since then.   I've just about decided not to get another one.  My thoughts go back to the early 1980's when a friend in Alaska got one.  That was the first one I'd ever seen.  I didn't get my own until 1992 and it got a lot of use.  My son and I were big popcorn eaters and the microwave really did the trick!  I even got a beautiful stand for it.

     So I've always had a microwave since for about the past 25 years or so.  For now, I've decided not to get one.  I have a small kitchen with not very much counter space.  I have my laptop now on the counter where the microwave used to be, and I've taken to writing standing up.  Ernest Hemingway did, and look what he accomplished!

     I also like the aesthetic of not having a microwave, typing at the counter, and looking out the kitchen window at the beautiful woods behind my apartment.  Sweet!

     I drink tea and miss the microwave for heating it up (I'm a long sipper), but think back to the time when I didn't have a microwave.  Now, I really don't like the idea of the "big black box" on my counter.

     I decided to buy a tea cozy, like the English use.  It reminds me of the wonderful 9 months I spent in England.  Who needs a microwave?


No comments:

Post a Comment