Friday, August 2, 2013

Why I Love the Nasher

      



     At the beginning of the year, I joined the Nasher Museum of Duke University.  I've been going to their film series this summer, and the last film is one of my favorites, "Man on Wire."

     Showing on August 22, the film got a round of applause from the audience!  It won best documentary at the Durham Full Frame Film Festival and was awarded an Oscar for best doc in 2009.

     Every year, the Nasher has a book discussion of the "Freshman Read" at Duke.  For the Class of 2017, that book is Let the Great World Spin by the brilliant writer, Colum McCann.  The book is a fictional account the event portrayed in "Man on Wire:"  Philippe Petite's historic walk between the Twin Towers in 1974.  Never have I experienced a more enlightened discussion of a book!  Kudos to the Nasher for reaching out to the community in this way.  I'm proud to be a member of the Nasher. 


    http://nasher.duke.edu/event/let-the-great-world-spin-2/.

No comments:

Post a Comment