Saturday, March 3, 2012

Christmas, 1983

Nearing our first Christmas!
What a beautiful day it was today. After getting out my invitations for Open House, I dropped you off at Jill's and had a delightful time Christmas shopping. On my way to the library to take in some refreshments, I looked up and saw a full moon hovering over the mountains. It wasn't yet dark and the sky was dark blue. What a sight! I was stunned. There are many times when one is struck by the beauty of this place. You don't have to go far to find it. When I picked you up at Jill's I was invited to dinner. It turned out to be a feast prepared by some friends of theirs. You were really a hit and got passed around quite a bit. The Lunas' German exchange student took care of you for a while. You enjoyed the many faces and all the activity. You're such a good baby! How lucky I am! You're going to be fun in the years to come. A package arrived in the mail today. In it were some dolls that your cousin Nick sent "with all his love."

Tonight after you woke up crying, I placed you in my arms so you could see the full moon outside your window. We admired it for quite a long time together. The boat parade tonight was beautiful.

My divorce will soon be final and I hope my bitterness can transform itself into something positive by planning for our open house, fixing up your room, reading, and inviting friends over. You are my reason for the season.

Clear beautiful sunny cold days.
Nearing Christmas, our first!
The boats made a spectacular
sight tonight,
All lined up
Just for us!

We saw bald eagles twice last week!

December 28, 1983

We had our first Christmas together a few days ago, on the island where I met your father. Memories of a happy time...

The days continue to be crisp, clear, and lovely. The other day, while you slept,
I watched the sunset over the water.
I was waiting for our guess to arrive.
What a joy to have friends over! The house came alive with laughter and good conversation.
The tree looks lovely, as does the entire house. Another Alaska print would make it complete. I like this place! Some packages arrived yesterday from your great aunt and uncle Wodaski and great grandmother Zukoski. Also from your grandparents. I can't wait for you to meet the rest of your family. Aunts, uncles, grandparents, and cousins. You're sure to be quite a hit.

The divorce becomes final tomorrow. I'm willing to do what's necessary to help you have a positive relationship with your dad. He loves you and wants to spend time with you. I looked down at you as you were sleeping just now, precious baby. The family is just you and me now. We'll have to help each other. I can be strong for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment