Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Frozen/Thawed


Tears
remain,
covering the whites 
of my eyes,
turning them a pale
shade of blue

to match the blue
of my soul

blue like the color
of porcelain
before
it's fired

bleu like the veins
of cheese
we had with dinner
last night

blue like the veins
that criss cross my hands
like spider webs
and rise like the
bas relief on a plate
from Greece

Frozen tears.
Why?
Because I can't cry.
I don't want to go back there,
back, back, back
in time.

And besides,
I've already cried.
Already done that.

Now,
to breathe,
to move,
to feel
alive,
not vacant,

like the smoked over windows
of the closed K-Mart
that used to be in town,
or the Belk store
that's been long gone,

This town that has said good-bye
to many things.
Sprint
Black and Decker
and others,

re-located
down to Mexico,
and warmer climes,

leaving this place
vacant
and 
lost.

Like the lot
at the movie theater
where nobody goes anymore.

Vacant like the houses down town
with For Sale signs in the yards.
Vacant like the church
on a Sunday morning.
Where have they gone?

Gone to graveyards, everyone.

Tonight, the town is frozen,
Except for the candles
on my little
buffet and the song that says "lighten,"

and the glow in my heart
that I notice up when I remember
a new life,
a birth.
A baby to be born
in July.

New life.
New love.
New breath.

Soon.
A son.
Or a daughter.

Soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment