Tuesday, February 21, 2012

"This Day in History" (my history)

Library Wars

This morning I picked up a journal I kept from my school librarian days at Weldon High School, a rural school in Halifax County, NC. Back in 2000, I undertook a gargantuan task, managing a school library that had been neglected for years. The most egregious problem was the fact that the facility had been used to store hundreds of old textbooks. Dealing with that caused a knee injury that is a problem to this day. What a shame that administrators today have so little respect for school libraries. I honestly think that the condition of the library was a factor in the low performance of the students at the school.

The first page of the journal is dated Feb. 2, 2001 and reflects my frustrations at how the library was mis-used by administrators and teachers. Even today, school librarians still function as "baby sitters", which doesn't benefit anyone. Thank goodness, the flexible schedule is being used more and more.

"Feb. 2, 2001

"What a day! I did manage to get to work 5 minutes early. Managed to stay awake on the way to work (it's an hour drive, one way). Upon arriving, I scoot out the door to check my mail and use the rest room. Upon my return, Wallace Gaelhood and his social studies class are at the entrance of the library. Really appreciated Wallace's comment about "an entire class is waiting for you." Duh. Whatever happened to prior notice?
The kids are awful. This is the group that changed settings and backgrounds on the library computers recently.
The teacher seems clueless about what the kids are supposed to do. Most of them are lounging around. I address the reminding them of the computer rules -- don't tamper, don't chat, no email, etc. etc.
While I'm going over all of this with the class, Wallace comes up and stands right by me. For a few seconds, I think he's supportive but no -- he interrupts, asking if he can borrow a calculator. Before I can answer, the fire alarm goes off, around 7:50 a.m. I am really rattled after that. The fire alarm goes off a lot 'by mistake.'
Back to business. I remind the kids that their books are on the cart. Then I went over to the network to see a girl checking her email. I send her to the study area, and remind the class that they need to get to work. Then I talk to the "teacher" (a sub) who has picked up the newspaper to read. She must think she's here for a break! I ask to see the class' assignment and she show me some handwritten notes. I mention that I hadn't gotten notice that the students would be studying China. I suggest to the sub that she circulate and help the kids, since the teacher had told me that I "didn't need to do anything." The sub tells me I need to help her because she "doesn't know nothing about no library."
I remind the kids at the back table that they are supposed to be working, but it's hopeless. The teacher goes back to the classroom with the students who won't work, leaving about 7 in the library. I remind a girl not to socialize, and to put away her snapshots. The afternoon class was just as bad, with the fire alarm going off again.
I'm beat by the time school is over. I can barely stay awake on the road, almost nodding off and hitting a mailbox. I pull over into the North Edgecombe high school parking lot and sleep for about 10 minutes. I get home and fall into bed, and am soon stricken with a case of diarrhea and vomiting. Chris brings me 7 up from the store and tells me to relax. Sweet guy. He asks if I mind if he watches his movie. I read notes for my next class for a while before dozing off for about 2 hours. Chris' movie, "Shaft," saves me. It's a great escape movie.

Feb. 25, 2000

There's a new use now for the professional reading room -- food storage! Crates of drinks, boxes of snacks, and a huge tub of drinks was left in there after the SAT test. I've been so busy that I didn't have time to address it. The principal remarked last week that the drinks had to be moved, so I finally had to do it myself...Soon, the principal buzzes me asking why the food had been moved. Huh? He throws another curve ball, mentioning the problem I have created!

Mar. 3, 2000

There is a silver lining. I got my application for the Library of Congress for a summer workshop. But the frustration of working at that school is burning me out. I feel clinically depressed and it takes forever to accomplish small tasks. But I manage to check in equipment, put up a table display, and prepare for class tomorrow. I have an appointment to check on my high cholesterol. I'm prepared to ask for modification, leave work at 3:30, no duty, and no fire alarms going off.

Apr. 24, 2000

I had a nightmare last night. I dreamed of being in Roanoke. I'm wandering around, homeless. I'm in need of a place to stay, I'm driving an old car, one of those big, long ones from the 1970's. I park it and then can't find where I parked it. I'm grieving for my mother. Someone gives me some poems that he's passing out. They are cut out from old kids' books and pasted onto paper. I see this as a kind gesture. I visit an alcoholism center. A tornado comes up. I'm in a concrete staircase, huddling with others. The wind starts to blow hard. Some of the people are Hispanic. I feel cared for. Mother comes and gives me a hug and tells me she loves me.

May 18, 2001

I have written my resignation for the 3rd and final time. The situation with David Jones has crossed into the realm of abuse. He schedules meetings and events in the school library without letting me know. He keeps me after school. He yelled at me and shook his finger in my face. Whatever I do is never enough. He embarrasses me in front of other teachers. I have to consider the toll that the school year has taken on my health. I have pain, rapid heart beat, feel stressed.

September 11, 2001

Otherwise known as 911. One morning a teacher came in to ask me if I had heard about the planes that had flown into the World Trade Center. This is surreal. I tell her I don't believe it, then turned on the tv. It was true. I watched in horror at the World Trade Center came down.
The student's aren't interested. They think the situation is "out of their zone." The principal supports the students. Go figure. In a month, I'm out of this place!


No comments:

Post a Comment